Morningside Park BlueCross Healthy Place
In 2019, Legacy Parks received a $5.5 million BlueCross Healthy Place grant on behalf of the City of Knoxville to construct the first BlueCross Healthy Place in the Knoxville area at Morningside Park.
The 36-acre city park is adjacent to downtown and surrounded by student and multi-family apartments, as well as a high-rise community for seniors with disabilities. Two elementary schools are also within walking distance and the park sits on a city bus line, making it easily accessible to visitors from other areas of the city.
Knoxville-based landscape architecture firm Ross/Fowler donated their time to create conceptual designs of the space for the grant submission.
Extensive research and community surveys revealed interest in the following features that were incorporated into the plans:
- Natural surface trails
- Active play areas with accommodations for persons with disabilities
- Fitness and challenge courses for all abilities
- Natural areas for encouraging care for the environment
- A renovated large activity field with surrounding paved trail
- A therapeutic fitness trail from the senior/disabled living community
A groundbreaking was held on August 25, 2022. The BlueCross Healthy Place opened in December 2023.
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee Foundation, City of Knoxville Parks & Recreation, Ross/Fowler